Without fear of contradiction, it can be said that today the hamlet is the most important tourist reality on the Iblean coast and probably of the whole of Eastern Sicily.
Marina di Ragusa has four thousand residents during the winter and over fifty thousand during the summer peak season with tourists. In recent years the town has been considerably enriched with various types of accommodation facilities, as well as chalets, restaurants, pubs and various recreational venues, thanks to the incessant increase in tourism.
Today Marina di Ragusa is a well-known tourist destination that welcomes thousands of tourists and vacationers, especially during the summer period, but it is also a destination for several elderly people who come to spend the winter here, all thanks to the exceptional climate, the clear sea and beautiful beaches.
Brief historical notes
The evolution of the town
- In the twenties and thirties of the 1900s, the current church of the Santissima Maria di Portosalvo was started and completed, while in 1931 the monument to the fallen of the First World War was installed.
- In 1953 the Promenade Andrea Doria was built and in the 1960s the Promenade Mediterraneo.
- In 1985 the "Irminio River Nature Reserve" was created, just 2 km from the center of Marina di Ragusa, still today it consists of the beautiful Mediterranean scrub and a rich and varied native fauna.
- The building expansion that began in the last century continues to this day, but in the meantime the hamlet has been enriched with hotels, holiday homes, B&Bs, chalets, restaurants, bars, pubs and various types of recreational venues.
- In 2009 the new tourist port was inaugurated, one of the largest in Southern Italy, with almost a thousand moorings. The marina is also a meeting place thanks to the presence of numerous night clubs, various shops and bars. At the marina it is also possible to rent cars, motorcycles, bicycles and zodiac boats for an excursion at sea.
- In 2011 the historic center was redone, the famous Piazza Duca Degli Abruzzi, accessible now only on foot or by bicycle as it is completely pedestrian. In the same year, the enlargement and reconstruction of the Promenade between Piazza Duca Degli Abruzzi and the tourist port was also carried out.
- In 2016, a cycle path was opened towards the west of Marina di Ragusa. Its length is about 2.5 km, in the section of coast between the tourist port and the fraction of Casuzze, crossing the village of Santa Barbara.
- In 2018 a public park was set up at the end of Promenade Andrea Doria. The park has a lawn and offers a playground for children, sports equipment, a fenced area for dogs and an easy access to the pre-reserve beach with free public shower. From this point it is possible to take long walks by the sea and reach the Irminio River Nature Reserve.
- In 2022 an extension of cycle path was finished, heading east from Marina di Ragusa. Its length is about 950 m, in the stretch of coast between Piazza Malta and the new square at the end of the Promenade Andrea Doria.
- In March 2022, work begun on extending the cycle path beyond the Promenade Andrea Doria up to the Irminio River Nature Reserve.
Bianco e Blu offers different solutions according to your needs, to make your holiday in Marina di Ragusa unforgettable!
All our apartments and holiday homes are located near the Promenade and the beautiful sea with sandy beach.
Discover the lovely bed and breakfast Bianco e Blu and stay in comfortable rooms, just 50 meters from the sea and in the heart of Marina di Ragusa.
Our services are all inclusive and the same for all our solutions. The consumption of utilities, weekly cleaning and linen supply are always included! Hurry up and discover our beautiful apartments! All our solutions available here
- Catania’s airport, in eastern Sicily, is 125 km away from Marina di Ragusa. Is one of the busiest on the entire peninsula and certainly the busiest of the island. Hundreds of daily national and international flights and connections with all European capitals.
- Comiso airport is at about 30 km away from Marina di Ragusa. Inaugurated in 2013, the airport is constantly growing both in terms of passenger traffic and in the number of air routes. The most connected company in terms of number of flights and destinations is Ryanair, but also Alitalia and other charter companies are present.
- Palermo airport, only 35 km away from the capital, is the third largest airport in southern Italy by number of passengers just after Catania’s airport.
- Trapani airport is a minor airport in Western Sicily. Its function, in addition to civilian transport it works also for military. Ryanair is the main airline that operates there with national and European routes.
- The distance from Catania to Marina di Ragusa is about 125 km. Both from the airport or from the central station there are daily bus trips. Most of the busses from Catania reach Ragusa. Always daily but less frequent there are busses that from Ragusa go to Marina di Ragusa.
- The distance from Palermo to Marina di Ragusa is 270 km and it is possible by bus until Ragusa. By car, take the highway to Catania and continue on the SS 514.
- No possibilities to reach Marina di Ragusa by train. It is suggested to arrive in Catania by train and then to continue by bus.
Bathing facilities (lidi in italian) in Marina di Ragusa
- Lido Aola – close to the harbour, with access from Lungomare Mediterraneo. The facility offers a free beach volley court. Active especially in the evening with music that attract hundreds of young people. Tel. 389 884 2377
- Lido Don Serafino – At 100 mt from Piazza Duca degli Abbruzzi it is in the very center of Marina di Ragusa. It is the first bathing establishment of Marina di Ragusa, built around the fifties. Today it is an excellent fish restaurant with two beautiful verandas overlooking the sea. Tel. 0932 239522
- Lido Margherita – close to Piazza Malta, it has a free beach volley court. Tel. 0932 230115 - 339 7415981
- Lido Baja – towards the end of Lungomare Andrea Doria, after Piazza Malta. Tel. 393 882 1671
- Lido Dolce Vita - At the end of Lungomare Andrea Doria, which gets animated thanks to frequent DJ sets - tel. 333 360 6703
Beaches nearby Marina di Ragusa
Eastern Sicily maintains more characters related to classical Greek culture, unlike North Western Sicily which has had a greater Arab-Norman influence.
The strategic position of Marina di Ragusa, located in the center of the southeastern coast of Sicily, makes the town the ideal place to stop and move around to visit the nearby interest sites.
What to see in less than 1 hour driving
Scicli is 15 km from Marina di Ragusa and 25 km from Modica. The historical centers in Baroque style declared "Unesco World Heritage" are really to admire. Baroque architecture in eastern Sicily is characterized by narrow limestone streets, characteristic glimpses, elegant buildings, imposing and majestic churches with unique facades.
At about 8 km west you can visit the small village of Punta Secca, made famous from the TV series “Il Commisario Montalbano”, also known for its beautiful sunsets. From Marina di Ragusa it can be reached also by foot.
Just few kilometers from Punta Secca, through a lovely country road full of ancient 19th century villas you reach Donnafugata Castle, the ancient summer residence of the aristocratic Arezzo family of Ragusa Ibla. Today the castle is a museum which allows you to visit the rooms with antique furniture, the magnific botanic gardens and a relevant collection of ancient family clothing.
Kamarina (or Camarina), 18 km away, today is a regional museum with ancient remains of what was once an impressive and thriving Greek city in the sixth century B.C. The small museum preserves the largest collection of amphorae found in the Mediterranean, as well as different types of vase decorations typical of the Hellenic period.
What to see in less than 2 hour driving
- Noto 60 Km – Baroque city, Unesco World Heritage
- Marzamemi 66 km – antique fishing village, famous for the beautiful beaches and the good fish
- Caltagirone 80 km – inland town famous for its ceramics and handicrafts.
- Siracusa 95 km - Baroque city, Unesco World Heritage – also famous for its Greek theatre
- Piazza Armerina 96 km – must see the ancient roman villa del Casale, very famous for its Roman mosaics.
- Catania 125 km – seaside city, reference point is Mount Etna and the airport
- Agrigento 128 km – must see the Valley of Temples with its perfectly preserved temples and the archaeological museum.
- Mount Etna 170 km – still active Volcano, recognized as a Unesco World Heritage Site since a few years.
- Taormina 175 km – charming place, very famous its Greek-Roman Theatre
Events and traditions
- In March St. Jaseph is celebrated with a characteristic procession of the simulacrum through the hamlet streets.
- August 15th is the feast of “Maria di Portosalvo”. For this occasion, symbolic is the “Wooden pole in the sea” where many young people participate who, on a fishing boat, compete to reach the flag placed at the very top of the wooden pole covered with grease.
- Even more impressive is the Virgin Mary statue procession at sea, where hundreds of boats follow the statue carried on a fishing boat along the coast of Marina di Ragusa. At midnight the fireworks end the feast.
- In recent decades, in addition to the typical traditional festivals, the “Farewell to Summer” feast has added, where the peak is the fireworks competition with a final winner. The fireworks competition usually takes place either the second or the third weekend of September and attracts thousands of tourists from all over Sicily.
Local Market of Ragusa and Marina di Ragusa
Here a list of local markets in the municipality of Ragusa:
- Monday – Via Sergente Scribano – Ragusa Ibla
- Tuesday – Via A. De Gasperi – Ragusa
- Tuesday – Via Citelli/Via Caboto – Marina di Ragusa (june 15th/ september 15th also Friday)
- Wednesday – C.da Selvaggio – Ragusa
- Thursday – P.zza Solferino – Ragusa
- Friday – Via Piazza Lupis – Ragusa
- Saturday – Via Paestum – Ragusa
Summer weekends, and not only, become alive thanks to the Koala disco. It is only 2 km away from Marina di Ragusa, opened every weekend both in summer and in winter, a reference point for thousands of young people. Thanks also to the variety of the music and the outdoor dance floors, the Koala disco is one of the most renowned disco-clubs in Eastern Sicily.
Many events organized by the Municipality of Ragusa during July and especially August. A calendar is published every year with a list of events taking place within the Municipality of Ragusa. Marina di Ragusa, Ragusa Ibla and Donnafugata Castle give life to dozens of different events: live music concert, theatre performances, exhibitions and fairs.
Sports activities and excursions
La Terra Travel Agency
- Calamanca - Porto Turistico - tel. 0932 250183
- Qb13 - Via del mare, 13 - tel. 339.7991.765
- La Falena - Via Portovenere - Tel. 0932 239321
- Vossia il mare - Via Benedetto Brin, 2 - Tel. 0932 734101
- Marisco - Lung. Andrea Doria, 104 - tel. 331.1158.546
- Quattro quarti - Lungomare Mediterraneo (pedestrian area) - Tel. 0932 616529
- Il Delfino - Lungomare Andrea Doria - Tel. 0932 239183
- Da Carmelo - Lungomare Andrea Doria - Tel. 0932 239913
- Agriturismo Monsoville - tel. 0932 664051
- Agriturismo Balcone Mediterraneo - tel. 0932.664046
- Agriturismo Rosacambra - tel. 0932.821238
- Agriturismo La Masseria - tel. 0932 664020
- Agriturismo Magazzè - Produzione Bufala - tel. 0932.664034
- La Dolceria - Bar e Gelateria - Via del Mare, 9 - tel. 329.2072514
- Sorbetteria - Bar e Gelateria - Piazza Duca degli Abruzzi, 20 - Tel. 0932 230730
- Bar Roma - Bar e Gelateria - Via Dandolo, 9 - Tel. 0932 230510
- Caffè delle Rose - Bar e Gelateria - Piazza Duca degli Abruzzi, 25 - Tel. 0932 239102
- Burger Art - Panineria - Piazza Duca degli Abruzzi, 12 - Tel. 340 848 5184
- Arà - Arancineria e panineria - Via Tindari, 13 - Tel. 366 206 8062
La grotta - Fast Food - Via Napoli, 11 - Tel. 0932 230241